Farnsworth, Matthias (Senior) by Dr. Samuel A. Green

Dale Farnsworth dale at farnsworth.org
Fri Sep 10 14:44:12 MST 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:54:30 -0700 (PDT), Patricia Greer wrote
> Hello, I came upon your site as I was researching a painting of the
> historic Chief Pontiac as a 30-40 year old man.  The painting was signed
> Farnsworth, yet I cannot find a painter by that name.  I cannot determine
> if the painting was from the period of Chief Pontiac's life time or if it
> may have been done at a later date.  It is a large painting, perhaps
> originally meant, or perhaps even placed in a museum.
>
> If any of your family research might include an artist from the period
> of approximately 1750, please advise me of where I might locate further
> information.
>
> Thank you,
> Patricia Greer

The following website, <<http://www.pontiac.mi.us/ponhistory.html>>
says "A print of an original oil painting of Chief Pontiac, by Academy of
Arts painter Jerry Farnsworth, is on display in the lobby of Pontiac City
Hall."  Elsewhere, I found that the somewhat wellknown Jerry Farnsworth
died in 1984.

He may have painted the painting you have.

--
Dale Farnsworth