John H. Farnsworth b. NY, m. in OH to Margaret Roberts

VanetteHobbs at aol.com VanetteHobbs at aol.com
Fri Jul 28 02:55:03 MST 2006

I am looking for more information on John H. Farnsworth born in NY.  I
assume he was born abt. 1800 because his wife Margaret Roberts was born abt.  1802
in PA.  They married in Belmont Co., OH just across the line from PA  on Nov.
22 1836.
Children are
Henry Clay b. 4 Sept. 1838
Martha M. "Mattie" b. 1841
Malissa b. 1843
Rebecca b. 1845.

Margaret is a sister of my great-great grandmother.

Margaret was the widow of Jesse Lambert at the time of their marriage, with
three children by him; Jesse Robert, Mary Ann, and John Moore Lambert.

There is a John Farnsworth age 20-29 on the 1840 Federal Census, Perry
Township, Licking County, Ohio with a female age 20-29 and one child <5 but  this
is probably not the right person.  I haven't been able to locate  anyone who
might be John H. on ANY censuses.

On the 1850 census Margaret is in the "City of Wheeling 1st Ward, 44th
District, Ohio County, Virginia," with children Malissa, Rebecca, and with Jesse
and John from her first marriage.  No idea where daughter Martha  was. Son
Henry, age 11, was living with Margaret's brother  Preston Roberts in Jefferson
County, Ohio.  Had John died?   Did they separate?

A family letter written in 1854 says she is with her children in
"Rockiland," presumably Iowa, and that her son-in-law John King died in  July 1854.

In 1860 she's in Winterset, Madison County, Iowa with son John  Lambert, and
with daughters Martha, Melissa, and Rebecca, all in their teens;  also a Mary
M. Farnsworth age 1.

Margaret died in Kansas City, MO on 18 Sept., 1892.  Henry died in  Topeka,
KS in 1917.  Martha died in Jackson Co., MO, (probably Kansas City)  in 1907.
I lose Malissa and Rebecca after 1860.

There is a John W. Farnesworth (sic) age 41 in Topeka, KS in 1870.  He  was
also born in NY.  I have no idea whether he's related but  suspect he is.

I have more on Henry and Martha Farnsworth to share but am really hoping to
find out more about John H.

Vanette