Farnsworth Family - VT, IL, KS, NE, IA - Descendents of Matthias Farnsworth

LeeGoff res0fuq0 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 14 19:56:04 MST 2001

I am working on my Farnsworth family history and have had some wonderful
success that begins where the Farnsworth Memorial II leaves off in my
section of the family.  Specifically, I am referring to Elizabeth
Farnsworth, daughter of Abijah Farnsworth and his wife Betsy Peck, and her
children.

Elizabeth was married to Jared Pierce, whom I understand (and am trying to
confirm) died 15 Jul 1867 in Lacon, Marshall, Illinois.  There were five
children produced by this marriage - Lucy A., Franklin Elijah, Oliver F.,
Plummer Frederick and Stephen Milo.  The Farnsworth Memorial II also listed
another sibling Nancy L.

My gg grandmother was Lucy A. Pierce and she was married to Robert A.
Seymour.  Robert called her by "Nancy".  Records, including census,
marriage, death certificates, etc., use the names "Lucy" and "Nancy"
interchangeably.  Robert Seymour was born in Virginia in 1816 and married
Lucy Pierce 6 Dec 1851 in Peoria, Illinois.  Robert A. Seymour is buried in
Gowrie, Webster, Iowa.  Lucy is buried in Scottsville, Mitchell, Kansas,
along with her mother, Elizabeth "Betsy" (Farnsworth) Pierce and several
other family members  The certificate lists first "Lucy Pierce" and then
"Nancy Pierce" (with the name Lucy with a line drawn through it).  In the
1870 U.S. Census, Robert Seymour and his family make their home in Clover,
Henry, Illinois (Woodhull, Ill.)and Robert's wife is listed as "Nancy L.".
In the 1880 U.S. Census for Clover, Henry, Illinois, Robert's wife is listed
as "Nancy".

Interestingly, Lucy and her mother Elizabeth, also known as Betsy, are
listed again in the 1880 Census, but in Lincoln, Cass, Iowa, with Lucy's
brother Franklin Pierce and his family.  The two census' were taken 20 days
apart.  In Illinois, Lucy's marital status is "M" for married -- but 20 days
later out in Iowa, she is listed as "S", or "single".  All of the personal
data (i.e. age, birth place, parents' birth place) match in each instance.
Lucy and her mother, Elizabeth Farnsworth Pierce eventually ended up living
in Allen County, Kansas (which abuts Mitchell County)with another issue of
Elizabeth Farnsworth and Jared Pierce, Oliver F. Pierce.  Plummer Pierce
lived nearby for several years as well and also owned land.  Plummer
eventually moved to Franklin, Franklin, Nebraska, where he died and is
buried.

Robert A. Seymour and Lucy A. Pierce apparently parted ways in 1880 - with
Robert moving to Iowa to be near their daughter, Frances Augusta "Fanny" and
Lucy moving near her mother Elizabeth (Betsy" and Lucy's brothers.  A son on
Lucy and Robert, Lincoln, is my g grandfather. His mother lis listed as Lucy
A. Pierce on legal documents (death and marriage certificates, but Nancy
Pierce is listed in less formal items, like his obituary.

I have found Samson and Elijah Farnsworth in the 1970 Census for Woodford,
Illinois.  It is the next to Marshall County, where Jared Pierce, Elizabeth
Farnsworth's husband, is supposedly buried.  I cannot help but think that
Elizabeth must have been out in Illinois with Samson and/or Elijah.

Now that I have purged a good portion of what I know, I would like to
inquire as to whether anyone out there has been able to find legal
documentation for the birth or christening of Elizabeth Farnsworth, as well
as vital records for Abijah Farnsworth and his wife, Betsy Peck Farnsworth.
I had no luck with Vermont State records thus far.

Any exchange of information would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

M. Goff