Farnsworth Newsletters

Linn lb0530 at cox.net
Wed Feb 18 12:15:09 MST 2009

Pam,

In one of your latest newsletters, I noticed you had information on some of
the Farnsworths in WV. I would like to send you what I have on my Farnsworth
ancestors from WV.  I believe them to be related to the other WV Farnsworths
that you mentioned, but have been unable to find the link.  You may use any
or all of this in your newsletter.

My Farnsworth ancestors hail from Pocahontas Co, WV.  My earliest known
Farnsworth ancestor is Levi.

    Levi, b. date unknown, died probably before May 1857.  Married 16 Mar
1822 in Bath County, VA to

    Sarah or Sally Lamb, b. abt 1798 in Virginia, d. date unknown.  Their
known children:

        Alexander R. L. Farnsworth, b. abt 1820

        William C. Johnson Farnsworth, b. abt 1822/23, d. probably bef 1880
(my ggfather)

        Isaac M. C. Farnsworth, d. 1857, unmarried.

        Philander S. Farnsworth, b. abt 1840, m. first Serena,

            2nd Sarah Ann Pringle 27 Oct 1883 in Calhoun Co, WV

        Mary Jane Farnsworth, b. abt 1842

        Martha A. Farnsworth, m. James Smith 2 Jan 1840 in Pocahontas Co.

William C. Johnson Farnsworth m. Rachel Belt 11 Sep 1856 in Wirt Co, (W)V,
where he was residing.  Rachel, twin to Maria or Mariah, was b. 13 Oct 1820
in Harrison Co, (W)V.  Rachel apparently had an earlier marriage to Richard
Braidwell/Bidwell/Budwell/Bredwell.  They appear in the 1850 census of Gill
Twp, Sullivan Co, Ind.  William and Rachel are in Calhoun Co (W)V in 1860,
in Wirt Co in 1870.  By 1880 William appears to be dead (have not found
death record) as Rachel is in Calhoun Co in the John Rogers household.  Her
twin is John's wife.  I have identified only one child of William and
Rachel, my grandmother, Mary Alice Farnsworth, known as Alice or Allie.  She
was b. 1860 in Calhoun County.  In Oct 1878 she married French Miller
Ferrell, my gfather in Calhoun County.  This is the end of my Farnsworth
line.

For some time I have been trying to establish a relationship between the
Farnsworths of Pocahontas County, WV to the Farnsworths of Lewis and Upshur
Counties, West Virginia.  I believe they are related for the following
reasons:

1. A transfer of 836a. of land from Daniel Farnsworth to William C. J.
Farnsworth and Isaac Farnsworth for $1.00

Daniel Farnsworth, 1766-1848, is said to have owned a considerable portion
of Staten Island and land opposite in Middlesex, NJ.  He sold some or all of
it for land in WV.  (Work of other researchers).  In 1821 he moved to what
is now Upshur County, WV. There is a detailed diary kept by his
daughter-in-law Abigail, wife of Daniel's son James, that details their
journey by ox-drawn wagon.  It begins ""We sot out for the new country,
Lewis county in the state of Virginia and stopped that night at the widow
Drake's."  See
ww.sycamore.net/nashfamilytree/Abigail%20Farnsworth%20Journey.htm for diary.
I have a hard copy printed from a LDS microfilm.

On 3 Sep 1835, Deed Book 2, p. 362-63, Pocahontas Co, VA - Deed between
Daniel & Rachel Farnsworth of Lewis Co, VA to James Farnsworth, same county,
1255a. of 2092 a. Northwest side of Greenbriar River on head of waters of
Clover Lick in Bath Co, now Pocahontas Co, for $300.  This land was conveyed
to Daniel 12 May 1821 by Jehemiah Bush, Jr. & Margaret his wife.  Daniel
signed, probably signed by someone else, because in other documents he
signed by mark.

30 Nov 1847, Deed Book 5, p. 17-18, Pocahontas Co - Daniel Farnsworth of
Lewis Co, to Wm. J.? Farnsworth of same county & Isaac Farnsworth of Ohio
Co, Va  for $1.00, 836 a. more or less, part of land containing 2092 a.
conveyed by Daniel to James L. Farnsworth.  On 30 Nov 1847 Daniel goes to
court in Lewis Co & asks them to acknowledge same to Pocahontas court clerk.
(Isaac is probably William's brother, although the name Isaac appears
frequently among the WV Farnsworths.)

2. The frequent appearance of three forenames in both branches of the
family - i.e. Daniel D. T., Alexander R. L., William C. J.  Throughout
records of WV you can see this pattern among the Farnsworths.

3. William's brother, Alexander R. L. shows up in the 1860 census of Upshur
County, WV where there are several Farnsworth families, including Daniel D.
T.

Daniel (Daniel D. T.) was a descendant of Thomas Farnsworth, a Quaker, who
came from England to West Jersey about 1677 on the ship Kent, probably
because of persecution in his native land.  I have information on these
early Farnsworths from Quaker records and NJ history books.  The only
information I have on the "middle generations" comes from
http://www.conjure.com/GENE/FARNS/farnsworth_list.html which seems to be a
fairly well researched site.

I have discounted, maybe in error, a connection to the New England
Farnsworths.  However, the name Levi occurs frequently in the New England
Farnsworths.

I am strictly an amateur researcher and probably have no idea of what I am
doing.  Thinking Levi probably was born sometime before 1800 when there were
Farnsworths in Staten Island and NJ, I looked for some of those records.

Looked for birth of Levi Farnsworth in Index to Births, Deaths, Marriages,
Baptisms,

     Deeds and Mortgages of Staten Island from 1600  in SLC- nothing.

Looked at Burlington Co, NJ Birth Records, Vol 1, 1770-1785 - did not find
any

      Farnsworths.

Looked for Staten Island Births at DAR Lib.  Nothing back that far.

Looked at Encyclopedia of Quaker Genealogy, Vol II - nothing except marriage
of

    Daniel to Rachel Pierce in 1714.  Daniel was son of Thomas the
immigrant.

Next I thought that maybe there was a court action or probate record that
might shed some light on this mystery.

Looked at Lewis Co. Court Docket 1847-1849.  Nothing

Looked at Lewis Co. Wills 1820-1881 - nothing

Looked at Pocahontas Co. Chancery Order Book1, 1831-1860 - nothing

Looked at some Upshur Co wills - may not have been complete. (Historic
records survey)