Save a piece of Farnsworth family history

Richard Walker rwalker at sanjuanjournal.com
Tue Jan 24 16:24:39 MST 2006

Dear cousins,

	My name is Richard Walker, a descendant of Matthias (Matthias -
Jonathan - Reuben - Reuben - Reuben - Stephen - Joseph - Dora - Richard
- Richard).  I am editor of The Journal of the San Juan Islands in
Friday Harbor, Wash.,  and a member of the San Juan Historical Society
and Museum Board of Trustees (www.sjmuseum.org).

	A building on our museum grounds, the first San Juan County Jail, was
built in 1895 by James L. Farnsworth (b. 1836, Livingston County, N.Y.;
d. Oct. 28, 1900, San Juan Island, Wash.). He is interred at Valley
Cemetery here. His obituary was published on page 3 of the San Juan
Islander newspaper on Nov. 1, 1900.

	The jail was used from 1895 to 1971. It was moved to the museum
grounds in 1988. It is of vernacular design, has a jailer's room, three
cells and an exhibit. (James Farnsworth's signed receipt of payment for
his work — $234.50 — is displayed in one of the cells). The exterior
features a cupola. The jail is one of eight buildings on the museum
site.

	Today, the jail is in decent structural shape but needs to be
re-roofed, needs some siding repair and needs to be painted. The
interior exhibit needs some enhancement because photos were damaged
when the roof leaked.

	I am appealing to my fellow Farnsworths to help save this important
piece of family history — by donating to a fund to preserve San Juan
County's first jail, built by one of our own, James L. Farnsworth.

	Here's an opportunity for Farnsworths near and far to do something
together to preserve a piece of family history. The names of all donors
will be listed on a plaque at the jail.

	Donations of any amount will be appreciated and put to good use in
restoring this building. Donors will receive letters noting their
tax-deductible donation.

	Send donations to San Juan Historical Society, P.O. Box 441, Friday
Harbor, WA. 98250. Make checks payable to San Juan Historical Society,
but note that it is for the jail fund.

	In appreciation,

	Richard Walker
	rwalker at sanjuanjournal.com