Confirmation of further Matthias line data

Sessfam at aol.com Sessfam at aol.com
Sun Jul 11 03:15:02 MST 1999

The FARNSWORTH One-Name Study has been checking parish registers in Eccles,
Lancashire. They are in poor condition and so we have also checked the facts
with a transcript made in 1932.  Even in that year there was a problem with
the writing, page deterioration and fugitive ink.

We confirmed the entries that agree Richard was father of Matthias 1 and
found various other entries about siblings and the wider family.

We made notes on the priests in charge on the occasions of Farnworth weddings
and baptisms  (name., dates of his incumbency etc.).

We took particular note of the oldest Farnworth entries in the registers and
can now advise:
a) The father of Richard Farnworth, grandfather of Matthias, is confirmed as
Elizeius, baptised January 1561/2 at Eccles Parish Church, Lancashire.
b)  The mother of Richard Farnworth was named Margreta, but her surname was
indecipherable even under a strong magnifying glass and infra-red lamp.
There is an entry for baptism of a Margretha Ba........ ( which presumably
was the same as it is such an unusual Christian name) during the summer of
1564,  probably July.
c)  Elizeius  (Elijah) and Margreta married in September 1582 in Eccles
Parish Church..

The two researchers came back filled with admiration for thpose who
transcribed the whole registers in the 1930's - an appallingly difficult task
because of their condition and the crabbed handwriting, they said.  The task
wasn't helped by two of the vicars insisting on using Latin in the registers,
either!

regards

Patrice

Guild of One Name Studies 3026