Lancashire Wills

Sessfam at aol.com Sessfam at aol.com
Wed Feb 17 12:57:56 MST 1999

Hello fellow Farnsworth watchers!

Some documents from the Mather Cotton collection have been lodged with the
Farnsworth One Name Study:  for those of our name who research ancestors from
the Lancashire area, these may prove helpful.   As these people were from
Lancashire/Cheshire , they all carry the surname FARNWORTH as that was the
usual spelling of this surname in that part of Britain.  In every case,
probate was granted at the Consistory Court of Chester.

I have transcribed them exactly as recorded by Mr Cotton:

Will of John Farnworth of Duxbury, co. Lancaster, dated 28 May 1623.
Refers to  - My son Edward;  my wife Alice; my nephew Peter Hodgson;
my god-daughter Jane Hodgson.  probate granted 3 June 1625

Will of Thomas Farnworth of Swinton, co Lancaster,  husbandman,
dated 17 May 1620.  Refers to  -  my wife Catherine;  William Farnworth son of
my brother Richard;    probate granted 8 August 1626

Will of Catherine Farnworth of Little Houghton, co Lancaster,  widow,
dated 19 June 1626.  Refers to  -  my god-son Robert Farnworth.
William Farnworth was witness to the will.  Probate granted 3 July 1626

Will of Richard Farnworth of Birchey in the parish of Bury, co Lancaster,
yeoman,  dated 16 June 1838.  Refers to - my son Richard Farnworth alias
Kirkowe;
my brother Ellis and his four children also his son James Farnworth alias
Knowell;  my half-brother Robert and his two children.  Probate granted 2
August 1632.

The documents lodged here also included a number of Yorkshire Wills and those
for Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, where the surname is more commonly
FARNSWORTH.  I will send these for your perusal when transcribed.

Best wishes to you all,

Patrice

(Revd)Patrice Sessions MA
Guild of One Name Studies 3026