Greetings!

Sessfam at aol.com Sessfam at aol.com
Sat Jan 30 12:23:29 MST 1999

Hello List
Just a note to advise that I am now back in action after over a year of
surgery and rest, and looking forward to renewing acquaintance with the
Farnsworth researchers I note are on this list.  For those of you still
waiting a response from me, I am catching up gradually!

A group of five have now set up the FARNSWORTH One Name Study  in Britain,
under the auspices of the Guild of One Name Studies.  Several people have
asked what such a study involves, and I recommend a look at the following web-
page:  http://www.one-name.org/top.htm.    Many of the 35,000 entries on our
database have been verified by one of the five researchers ( not from books,
but from parish registers, directories, subsidy lists, pipe rolls etc etc).
These entries are mainly British, but the database also holds a substantial
number of US and Canadian, Australian and Irish facts.  We are always happy to
receive additional facts to add to the database, especially when they have
been verified.

We do not concentrate only on our own lineage, that is one of the joys of a
One Name Study, but on the whole surname and variants.  You will see those
variants, and other similar name studies such as Farnoth, listed at our
Farnsworth entry, no 3026 on the GOONS web-page.

As admin. of the database, I am happy to answer specific queries, but we do
not issue blanket info. for two reasons.   Firstly, there is a risk of the
information being fragmented or incorrectly transcribed so that a corrupted
version of it begins to circulate.  Secondly, because we do not want facts to
be spoon-fed to the world, but always seek to encourage original research of
records in the best interests of our hobby.

It is as a result of this research that this group has managed to correct
several errors in the first edition of ' A Farnsworth Memorial' 1897, and
continues to work to show the two equally important areas of Britain from
which the surname of Farnsworth may have evolved.

Patrice Sessions
Society of Genealogists
GOONS 3026